Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

What's In A Name?

Dade was finally baptized last Monday, 14th December. It was a pleasant afternoon - perfect for baby's naming day :)

Ever wondered why we named our son Dade and why his full name is such? I'll tell you why.

When I was still pregnant, as soon as we confirmed the gender of our baby, Ryan and I started thinking of names to call him. I initially wanted a Spanish sounding name to go well with our last name but the husband didn't approve of it. he wanted a Western sounding name, and so he got his wish. I searched for possible names in the internet, hoping to stumble upon a nice name for our son.

Then one day, Ryan suggested the name Dade. He's liked that name ever since he heard it from that 1995 movie "Hackers" (remember Angelina Jolie with her first husband, Jonny Lee Miller?) Dade Murphy a.k.a Crash Override/Zero Cool is the protagonist in the movie and his character was that of a computer whiz. I know he's so keen about that name because he uses that when he saves his PSP games.

And so I sought for names that would make "Dade" a possible nickname. Thanks to the internet, I got the perfect names for Dade - Daniel Jayden Erix, whose etymology are as follows:

Daniel - (dan-yel) Hebrew origin meaning "God is my judge". This name is also from one of the beloved bible stories, Daniel and the Lions' Den. Coincidentally, Daniel is the name of my maternal great grandfather.
Jayden - (jay-den) Hebrew origin meaning "Jehovah has heard". I personally love this name because of what it means. Dade is an answered prayer, and this name fits him perfectly.
Erix - (e-rix) Derived from the Old Norse name, Eric, which means "forever ruler". This was from Ryan's second name that I have requested to add to our first born's name.

Our son would probably not like us in the future for his lengthy name (especially when he starts writing it) but I hope someday, he would learn to appreciate it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Dade's full name :)

I bet he will like it too in the future ;)

cheche said...

welcome to the christian world, dade!! super posh ang full name ni dade =D. si cayden 2 lang ung names pero mahaba na din. wawa when they learn to write na =D. hirap din mag fill up ng forms, nd kasya sa boxes hehe

have fun with the rest of your holiday!

advance merry christmas!

Eper said...

Happy Christening, Dade! :)

Gracie said...

@ Joanne - oh, i really hope he'll like it :)

@ Cheche - thanks! i just realized medyo magkapangalan si Cayden & Dade (Daniel - Gabriel / Jayden - Cayden)

i'm sure my son will get mad at us for his very long name...haha!

@ Eper - thanks, my dear!