Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Getting Ready

I have this list of baby items that I created based on what i've read and researched on.  It is based mainly from my culture as a Filipino, and at the same time, infused with modern ideas that I got from American and English cultures of raising a baby. The list I have has been passed on to friends and family, and even my pedia friend who's a first time Mom asked for a copy of it for reference. So yeah, I'm kinda proud of how that list was able to help other Moms-to-be.  It pays to be OC, you know! haha!

I was checking it out last night before hitting the sack when it dawned on me how little we actually need now for our second baby.  Thankfully, we didn't scrimp on buying baby stuff for our first born. It didn't matter that some of the stuff we purchased were a bit expensive than the other generic brands.  Because they're sturdy, we'll be able to stretch their use. That's a brilliant return of our investments, don't you think?

Anyway, I've divided the list into 10 sections:
- for sleeping
- for feeding
- for diapering
- for swaddling
- for bathing
- health, safety and grooming
- clothing
- for traveling
- accessories & footwear
- toys and other nice-to-haves

So far, we have almost everything we need. just a few more clothing of course since our stock are mostly for boys and there are very few neutral colored items that we could pass on to Baby L.

The other day, we were able to score this beautifully crafted crib swing from Mothercare which was on sale.

crib swing fit for a princess

Original price was AED 425 (USD 115) but we got it for only AED 190 (USD 51.65). Hubby's preference is the glider version but it wasn't on sale and they don't have stock of the white one.  I was pretty pleased with the purchase but was doubly stoked to find out that the mattress was being sold for only AED 50 (USD 14) and crib bale was on offer for only AED 50 (USD 14) from its original price of AED 150 (USD 40).  I really wanted to get this crib because I intend to have the baby sleep in our room during night time, and having a portable one that's within reach will make it a lot easier for me, especially as I intend to nurse again for as long as I can.

a cheery crib bale

Meanwhile, last Thursday was victorious for us as we were able to snag a rocker which was on sale at Babyshop. The last time they had a promotion about a month and a half ago, the rocker wasn't included so we were very delighted to see that during this DSF (Dubai Shopping Festival), their part sale covered this piece of furniture every Mom would love to have. We budgeted AED 650 (USD 176) for the rocker but got it for only AED 450 (USD 123) with free delivery.

As for the back-up breastpump, we decided to let it go for the time being since there was no mark down for the item.  Another sale is due around May (right before summer) so we'll just buy it then.  I have my trusty Medela Pump in Style Advance anyway so I'm all good.  Just need to replace a few parts and I can pump away again in no time.

I had a few hard-to-find-in-Dubai-items ordered from the US and shipped to my friend who will be going home for a vacation there next month.  Some of the items were:

boppy cover in a sweet apple & pear pattern



A boppy pillow cover that's suitable for a little girl.  We have limited options here from Babies R Us.

cute bunny cushy straps

Cushy straps from Kiddopotamus.  Sadly, they only sell the beige ones in our local Babies R Us and they cost a lot.

first choice for Baby L's shampoo & bodywash
lotion to lock that moisture in on our baby's skin 

sunblock for future swimming sprees



California Baby organic shampoo & bodywash, lotion, and sun block.  I checked the Cosmetics Database.org and found out that among the baby products available in the market, this is one of the brands that have the lowest hazard in terms of toxicity. Thankfully, Aveeno, the brand we're using for Dade comes very close, but I want another option that I can use for the wee one.

best. diaper. rash. cream, ever.



A tube of Desitin Maximum Strength Diaper Rash Paste that is the best one in the market -- hands down.  Unfortunately, it's not available here so I have to get it from the US, too.  We have a tube that we're currently using for Dade for when he gets all these nappy rashes but I just wanna stock up just to be on the safe side.

Meanwhile, I am taking advantage of my discounted lifetime membership in Aramex's Shop & Ship and ordered these items through Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk since they are out of stock here. When I calculated and compared the prices, I realized ordering them online is way cheaper even with the shipping costs.

oh, so soft car seat cover!

Maxi Cosi Cabrio Fix Summer Cover made of terry cloth is crucial in this part of the world.  I regretted not buying one for Dade despite hubby's prodding. Any parent would understand how uncomfortable the car seat cover is for babies.

super adorable travel case

I bought this Dwell Studio travel case out of whim.  I know, I know, I really don't need it but it's just too darn cute and my low EQ'd self couldn't resist! :P

By next month, I have to decide on a diaper bag so it'll arrive just before I pop.  I am not leaving anything to the last minute because with the upcoming move,  I know I'll definitely be very busy then and risk forgetting something.  Well, let's just hope I won't, cross fingers.

3 comments:

Crinklynose said...

This is a great list sis :)

I use California baby stuff with Mikka too :)

If I may add, if Desitin is not available, please check and see if you're going to like Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021HR94K/ref=asc_df_B0021HR94K1901653?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0021HR94K).

This is organic so you know it's very safe for your baby. On top of diaper rash, you can also you this for other booboos, scrapes, scratches etc. I am never without this. I still use this with Mikka hanggang ngayon. It's the only thing that works for her super fast. Diaper rash gone the next day! I recommended this to a lot of my friends and they swear by it as well. I also love the smell for some reason.

Just thought you might want to check it out as an option for Desitin.

Take care prego! :)

Crinklynose said...

This is a great list sis :)

I use California baby stuff with Mikka too :)

If I may add, if Desitin is not available, please check and see if you're going to like Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021HR94K/ref=asc_df_B0021HR94K1901653?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0021HR94K).

This is organic so you know it's very safe for your baby. On top of diaper rash, you can also you this for other booboos, scrapes, scratches etc. I am never without this. I still use this with Mikka hanggang ngayon. It's the only thing that works for her super fast. Diaper rash gone the next day! I recommended this to a lot of my friends and they swear by it as well. I also love the smell for some reason.

Just thought you might want to check it out as an option for Desitin.

Take care prego! :)

Gracie said...

hi berns!

thanks :) and i really appreciate your reco. if i can have someone get it for me, i'd love to try it. thing is all these California Baby stuff are to be brought by my friend lang from Maryland who will be there on holiday next month. i shipped the items sa kanila & he'll just have to pack it sa bag nya :) shy naman ako magpabili pa sa kanya...hehe!

hope all's well with your pregnancy, too. enjoy ko ang baby shopping this time 'cos i'm buying stuff for a girl :) wee!!